Friday, November 22, 2013

Something To Be Thankful For This Year

Every year, I always dread doing the game during Thanksgiving dinner where we all say what we're thankful for. My answers are always cliche, and I never feel that I've put enough thought into it. Usually I'm just so thankful all the food is on the table and that I'm sitting down, I can't properly appreciate the beautiful sight before me - my family. This year will be different, because this year I know how lucky I am to have that family, to have a home, to have a Thanksgiving dinner to sit down to. Why is this year so much different? Because of Gifford.

 
Photo credit to Mitch Kazel

Gifford, Illinois is a small town of under 1,000 people, and it's located about 20 miles from my home. Last week, devastating tornadoes tore through our state, and one of them rocked this small town. That afternoon, my husband and I sat with our toddler, glued to the radar and trying to decide if we were safe. We are very fortunate, and the town we live in is usually spared the worst of the weather. We rode out the weird storm, and went about making lunch and other day to day tasks. Little did we know at the time, hundreds of people close by were standing in rubble, wondering what had just happened.
 
Photo credit Mitch Kazel
Photo credit Mitch Kazel

Photo credit Mitch Kazel
This is just some of the damage done to this tiny town. I've heard tales of narrowly avoided injuries, lost farm land, even a pregnant woman who took shelter in her tub - while her home moved off of it's foundation around her. The fear and heartache that these people must have been feeling cannot be explained by someone like me, because I'm writing this from the comfort of my home, using electricity and running water, sitting under warm blankets. I'm not looking at my mattress in someone's from yard. When I first saw pictures and videos of the town, I started to cry, because I  couldn't imagine the hurt. But then an amazing thing happened.. something that made me cry for a different reason. 

Photo credit Philip Wake
Someone found this dog without his owner, and made sure that even in the chaos he had fresh food and water. This photo was then posted on Facebook to find the owner.

Photo credit Bethany Park Christian Church

Photo credit The Gathering Place, Rantoul
Hundreds of people donated clothing, food, hygiene items, and more to families in need.

Photo found on Gifford's Tornado Relief Facebook Page
This amazing couple still sees a fairy tale ending, as long as they're together.

Photo credit Deb Ackerman
This woman, Deb Ackerman, found a way to make others laugh when they wanted to cry.

Photo credit Matt Meuser
And the most heart wrenching and tear jerking photo for me, this picture of an American flag that a family hung over their broken windows.

On the support page on Facebook, hundreds of messages like these were posted:

"Our office of Dr Kevin L Glancy and Associates 
(the independent Drs office of Lenscrafters) 
would like to help the victims of Sundays torandoes.
We realize many people may have lost their glasses
and we are offering up to 25 exams to help the individuals
in need. Lenscrafters is teaming up with us to donate frames
and lenses. This will be available from now thru December 10." 

" I am a licensed home childcare provider, have 
two- three open spots, any ages. More than
 willing to help out while you recover.
 Call Mandy at 217-841-****"

"We have two box trucks in Gifford that are empty.
If you are in need of help moving your
belongings please call Chris at 202-****."

"Danville School District #118 is doing a
School Supply Drive for the children that
have lost everything in the tornado, and
if anyone would like to donate they
can let me know! Thank you."

"Ultimate Upholstery would like to help those
that have suffered from the tornado in Gifford.
We would like to clean carpets and furniture free
of charge once the water and power have
been restored. Call 217 363-****."

"Kinner Kennels is a state licensed pet boarding
facility near springfield. We are offering free pet
boarding to anyone who has lost their home
and needs temporary longterm boarding for their pets.
We have a large play yard with plenty of playtime.
Our website is www.kinnerkennels.com"

"Docs towing is offering free tows up to ten miles for removal
of cars from the damage. We will also provide an impound
yard for damaged vehicles waiting for insurance adjusters
to look at. Just wanted to put that out there for a nearby
community in stress." 
 
"Family's affected by the storms yesterday in Gifford IL -
When you are restored to new homes or places to live
and are ready I am offering you (the family's that lost
all memories in photos etc) a free photo session of your family
- you cannot get the old ones back that is a loss that cannot
be replaced but you can have some new photos - I know
this will be a while down the road first concern is having
a home again and some clothes etc, I am only offering this to family's
that have lost their homes. I have no other way or nothing else to
give and I want to help in some way."

"If you are a victim of the devastation that tore through Gifford,
and are in the need of housing until your homes are rebuilt
and reconstructed. We have a list of some homes that are going
to be made available in the area for you. Again this is going to be
for the victims of the recent disaster. Contact my office at 217-239-****."
 
 
This is my community. These are the people that live near me. These are the people that I swear at when I'm behind the wheel and I'm in a hurry, or that I get frustrated with for having 21 items in the 20 and under lane at the grocery, or that I don't stop to wave to if I'm running late. I do these things not because I'm mean, but because I've forgotten how to be thankful. I've taken for granted how lucky I am to have these people around me, to have a family that loves me, to have a house to sleep in at night. These are the true colors of the people in my community. This is the face of Central Illinois. Seeing the way this community has pulled together to lend a hand in the face of disaster humbles me and warms my heart. This is what I have to be thankful for this year, and for every year for the rest of my life. Thank you, neighbors, for reminding me what life is really about. 

*If you would like to donate to the families in Gifford, you may do so here.

1 comment: